Friday, February 12, 2010

Torch Relay on Burrard Street



It was hard to decide what to do last night because it was raining quite hard when I came home. We wanted to head down to the LiveCity Yaletown but were worried that it would just rain and we wouldn't be able to take any pictures. So we made dinner and contemplated.

Then we saw the rain was letting up right about the time we thought the flame would be going down 4th Avenue. New plan! Let's go see it near the Burrard Street Bridge. And off we go... We took the Canada Line to Granville Island, the walked down 2nd Avenue to Burrard Street. It was super easy and quick, and it totally stopped rain! Must be the torch gods were smiling on us.

It wasn't even that busy right where we staked out a spot. But then we see the torch relay truck go by and suddenly there is a guy standing there with a torch. Everyone was very excited and were taking pictures with him. We lucked out because where we were standing was one of the spots where the flame would be exchanged from one torchbearer to another. Woo Hoo! Dave ran up right away and once I figured out what was going on I joined him to get my picture taken with the torchbearer Mario, who we found out later is the Vice President of the IOC. He was super nice and even let me hold the torch. Wow!

Now it's getting close and we've staked out a new spot in the middle of Burrard Street. We're ready and suddenly Dave says to me, "look behind you." And there, only two feet away is Diana Krall and Elvis Costello. OMG! I mean I was excited to see the torch, but to see them too... Wow again. But we didn't want to bug them so we left them alone (although we couldn't resist taking a few photos!).

Only minutes later the Mounted Police came by, then the big truck with all the camera crew and finally the torchbearer. I was so excited for Mario - he looked really happy. Then touched torches, waved and each other then parted ways. It was really cool and everyone was so excited. I'm glad I saw it.

Here are the pictures, enjoy...
Mario Pescante allowing me to hold the torch

Me, Elvis Costello and Diana Krall

Where's the torch?

Mario gets the flame

Go, Mario, Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment